Monday, April 30, 2007

Their game, their rules

Last night in the World of Warcraft I was having a bit of fun with my Gnome Warrior, specifically I was being escorted through a mid-level Dungeon by a high-level friend in order to obtain some of the magical Plate armor that drops off the bosses in that dungeon. And we got some, too, with the final Boss dropping a neat Plate Helm.

Then a Games Master sent me a tell. A private, in-game message, like using Messenger or Yahoo Chat. The Games Master is an envoy of Blizzard, a real person in the game who adjudicates issues where necessary. I hadn't lodged a complaint with the GMs, which left one explanation why they'd contacted me, and sure enough, the GM informed me that my Warrior's name had been deemed inappropriate. He was letting me know this because he said he was about to log me out of the game, and when I logged back in I'd be asked to choose a new name for my Warrior.

Now fortunately I was talking to my friend using a VOIP and a headset because I was so shocked by what the GM had told me that I could barely respond to him, let alone type messages to my friend to keep him appraised of the situation. Now I reckon the GM must have been tagging along with us, invisible & invincible, and he was lenient enough to let us down the final Boss and get the Loot before contacting me. The GMs do have powers that make them virtual Neos within the WoW world, and this one's timing was too impeccable to have been mere coincidence.

Within seconds of receiving his message I was kicked out of the game. I promptly tried to log back in and was met with a screen I'd never seen before.



WoW! Pun intended. He wasn't kidding. For some reason someone found the name Knuttjob objectionable, and complained about it, and I've been forced to change it. Now I have a choice, I don't have to change it, but if I don't then I cannot log in on my Warrior. In case you're a puritan and you're getting the wrong idea, a nutjob is a crazy person, a nutter, someone who is, essentially, nuts. When I role play Knuttjob he is one crazy little Gnome who refuses to back down from a fight no matter how outmatched he might be. He's nuts, plain and simple. With me being an officer in my Guild, the Knocturnal Knights, it made perfect sense to gname my gnome...er...name my nome...no, that's not right either, it made perfect sense to call him Knuttjob.

I haven't renamed the little fella yet. I filed a protest with Blizzard but I doubt it will change anything, after all, it's their game, we have to play by their rules. Sucks, though. I like little Knuttjob.

2 comments:

Jack Barrier said...

Thats too bad John. My friend Krogo has an alt known as Azkicker and I think the only reason he hasn't been forced to change it thus far, is because he rarely logs on with her.

Tobolds post today about how turning people in on a RP server had it's points, but I think way too many people were quick to say "I turn people in all the time /cheer!".

It just reenforces my opinion that some people aren't happy until they are making someone else unhappy. Knuttjob isn't offensive, it is funny as hell. If Poopshoot is allowed to continue playing on my server, then you should have been able to keep playing knuttjob on your server. People are sad...

Cap'n John said...

Last night I ran across several characters I contemplated reporting, just for the hell of it. After all, if Knuttjob can be considered offensive, why not GiantNuts or ScreamingO? I think those two names are easily more offensive than Knuttjob.

I've actually reported two people in my WoW experience. One player I reported for making what I considered were excessively abusive, threatening comments in General Chat (or maybe it was LFG when it was made Global). I'll let almost everything slide but this guy just went way too far, in my opinion, so I reported him.

The other person I've reported was, oddly enough, for an inappropriate name, and he's actually a friend of mine. In his case he began been playing the Warlock his niece rolled when she visited him one time, and he liked playing her Warlock so much it became his Main. He loves the character but hates the name his niece chose, so I reported him hoping we could get it changed. Of course it didn't happen :P